Sunday, June 30, 2019

Gemini


I picked up Gemini yesterday. I felt like I was tearing her away from her family. An entourage of grey haired caretakers brought her, it looked like a kid going away to camp. She was staying at their house while recovering from being spayed. they really fell for her. I need to keep them updated on her progress. I felt like CPS taking away their grandbaby. It was touching.
Car ride was a little uneventful. She was buckled in and it didn't look comfortable but she made it work. When we got to the apartment I figured I'd let her meet the folks in the office to get it over with. She has to meet them so they can evaluate her temperment. 
I got her out of the car and slowly took her to the office steps...her front paws when up the 3 steps...and then nothing.
so i figured it was the steps that freaked her out so we went around thru the ramp...nope. it was all the smells she was pretty overwhelmed. We saw Charlene and she was pretty skiddish still so i took her home. 
I put out some water and let her explore. She gulped down the water and thenshe went into the cage and I knew that would be her sanctuary. Her cave.
As she took a nap in there, I called the vet to ask about a microchip and an overall checkup. They said she has had a litter of puppies and she's over a year but not 2 yet. - her weight is good too. The did not microchip yet, they said that some places microchip when they spay so I needed to confirm, but they did check her twice, two different people so I'm sure they didntt miss it. Gramma confirmed they did not microchip, so that'll be part of the next visit. 

I had to drag her out of the car at the vet and had to carry her in the door because she just wouldn't cross the threshold.  But then a lightbulb must have gone off in her and I wasn't all that bad. In the clinic, she attached to me. I put her on the counter and she stuck close to me. I was the most familiar up until that point. so good, we're attached!
So when I took her out to the car, she was able to walk out on her own and then when i opened the car door, she hopped right in! and got into the passenger seat!  So I took her to the office again. ...she walked right in! She made friends with Charlene and Kasy gave her chicken so she was all for it. 
I was able to check my  mail and she got into the car with no issues. She is getting the hang of things.

At home, she got right out of the car and into the house. she took a nap on me watching TV. And so did I!  We still have to work on getting out of the cage to go for a walk but I took off her harness. This way, she can understand that when i put the harness on her, we're going out.  

After a really nice nap, I took her for a walk to the pool to meet Kellee and Michele. She was still cautious but much braver than before.  Things are familiar, at least a little now.

We came home and chilled. she is really into being in your personal space. There's a whole couch here kiddo!!
She started biting on her foot so I don't know if she's just being clean or if it's an issue. Her pads are very soft. maybe the grass bothers her, who knows, she might just be bored. 

So I took her into the bedroom to meet Flower. (neither of them was impressed) and had her hop up onto the bed....she was excited! I think she used to sleep on one so I decided she will not be in the kennel at night. Max never was either. 
If I'm home then she will not be in the kennel. So far, she's been pretty trustworthy...but it's only been one day!

No comments: